Friday, June 24, 2016

Shameful neglect



I have shamefully neglected this blog for quite a while now and it is time to rectify that because I am about to publish my first paperback! I received a proof of CHICKENS IN THE NEWS today, five days before I expected it. This is what the front cover looks like:

Obviously, this is not a scholarly work but it sure was a fun project that is historical, at times hysterical, and sometimes both at the same time. Who knew chickens could be newsworthy? Did you know the rooster was once the emblem of the Democratic party? Or that there was a supreme court case about chickens? Or that a man and his rooster and hens were all arrested and taken to jail for making too much noise? Or that a shark broke into a hen house? Or that a very well-known minister of his day preached a very long [and drastically edited by me] sermon about chickens?

A Kindle version for $1.99 and the paperback for $4.99 should be available at Amazon by the end of the month—June 2016. I will post here when the books go live.

***

A Kindle countdown for TEXAS CLIPPINGS begins on June 30—99 cents for five days. 

 ***

Research and typing for another new book, KENTUCKY CLIPPINGS, is in the first proofreading stage and will be published in both Kindle and paperback versions this summer.

***

I have been learning and learning and learning new software, SCRIVENER, so I could publish paperbacks. Scrivener is wonderful but is a bear to learn, in part because different people have different ways of doing things and all the ways are right. I have read it is perfectly normal to want to tear your hair out when you first begin using this powerful writer's software, but more and more of it makes sense to me now and I am glad I put in the effort to learn as much as I have so far. I first tried finding my way around SCRIVENER with TEXAS CLIPPINGS and quickly decided that it was not a good idea to begin that particular process with a 300+ page book so CHICKENS gets to be my first paperback.

No comments:

Post a Comment